[ExI] ChatGPT the Professor of Understanding

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon May 1 00:05:53 UTC 2023

Giovanni: I read a paper showing LLMs seem to behave in a different way
after they reach a certain number of parameters. There is a sudden jump.
Their abilities to perform several tasks requiring true understanding seem
to have suddenly improved what this may mean?

GPT-4:
The observed phenomenon you're referring to is often called an "emergent
capability." As large language models (LLMs) grow in size (i.e., the number
of parameters they have), they often exhibit improvements in their ability
to perform various tasks, including those requiring a deeper understanding
of the context or language. This sudden jump in performance could be
attributed to the increased capacity of the model to learn and encode more
complex patterns and relationships.

There are a few potential reasons for this improvement:

Increased capacity to learn: As the number of parameters in a model
increases, so does its capacity to learn and represent complex patterns and
relationships. This increased capacity allows the model to capture more
subtle nuances in language and context, leading to better performance on a
wide range of tasks.

Transfer learning: LLMs are often pre-trained on large-scale datasets and
then fine-tuned for specific tasks. The pre-training allows the model to
learn general language understanding, and the fine-tuning helps the model
adapt to the specific requirements of a task. With more parameters, the
model can better leverage the knowledge it has learned during pre-training
and apply it to a wider range of tasks.

Interpolation: As the model's capacity increases, it can better interpolate
between the data points it has seen during training. This ability to
smoothly interpolate between examples allows the model to generalize to
new, unseen data points more effectively, resulting in improved performance
on various tasks.

On Sun, Apr 30, 2023 at 4:42 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <