[ExI] ChatGPT the Professor of Understanding

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon May 1 16:00:16 UTC 2023

On 01/05/2023 04:37, Jason Resch asked:
> Given their conflicting answers, how about we agree for a time (at
> least in this thread) to only use rational thought and argument
> (rather than appealing to the authority of some humans or some
> language models)?
>

> What then is your rational argument for why brains can have true
> understanding and consciousness but no digital computer ever could?

Oh!, oh!, Me!, Me! I know this!:
.
.
.
.
.
"Because".

Did I get it right?

I mean, it's obvious, innit? computers have just got numbers and
electrons and logic gates and all that, you know, machiney stuff. Not
alive. Mechanical.

But humans have got , er, magic? OK, that's not a good answer, is it?
Squishy stuff, that's /alive!/ (yeah, it's magic really)

Ben