[ExI] Magenta (was Re: What is "Elemental Redness"?)

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Mon May 1 19:52:06 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 1, 2023, 1:09 PM BillK via extropy-chat <

> On Mon, 1 May 2023 at 17:53, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
> >
> > Actually, I think that Magenta might be a better example to think about
> > than Red.
> >
> > With 'Red', it's easy to get confused when talking, because the word
> > refers to a band of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation as well as
> > a set of subjective experiences associated with it, whereas Mangenta
> > doesn't. There's no such thing as Magenta light. So, 'Magenta' only
> > exists in our minds, not in the outside world, and we know that talking
> > about Magenta is not referring to a wavelength of light that enters the
> > eyes. It's a colour that we make up in our heads when we see a certain
> > combination of different wavelengths.
> >
> > Ben
>

> If you do a search for magenta, then look in Images, I see lots of
> blocks of colour but they are all different shades of magenta.
> My brain is now confused about what magenta is.    :)

I've always considered magenta as #FF00FF. That is, white light minus the
green. It's one of the subtractive primary colors, like cyan #00FFFF and
yellow #FFFF00.

(HTML color codes, to see them use this tool:
https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp )

Jason