[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Mon May 1 21:04:41 UTC 2023

The analogy to Mary's Room is quite direct.

Mary most certainly learns something new when she sees color for the first
time.

Analogously, when you experience a color, something similarly new is
happening, something other than patterns of neural firings correlated to
the experience of color. [Mary, of course, understands the neural firing
patterns perfectly, but still learned something new - what it was like to
experience them.] This something is correlated to neural firings, but
neural firings (which do not have a color) are insufficient to generate
color.

Put another way, when you look out at a green field, there is nothing in
your brain that is the same color as either blue or green. The blue and
green photons all landed in your retinal cells and slightly increased their
temperature. Something is causing the blue and green experiences, but the
neuron spike trains in your optic nerves cannot be - they don't have that
property so they can't possibly be causally transmitting that property from
your eyes into your brain.

The modelling/imagination capability of the frontal cortex is instructive.
When you imagine that green field, your visual field is caused to have the
same neural firing patterns /as if/ a train of neural firing spikes
encoding green and blue photons arriving in your eyes had just arrived in
your visual cortex. But this still doesn't explain why a particular neural
firing pattern is experienced with a certain experience we call green, and
another is experienced with a certain experience we call blue. The
differences in information content in the neural firing patterns cannot be
causing the difference in experiences, because as far as we can tell,
experience isn't made of information at all.

As to what experience is made of? That's the big question. The temptation
is to say "information", because information is the only other immaterial
thing we have a half-decent understanding of. Another temptation is to say
"quantum effects", because nobody understands those either. But there are
serious, fundamental differences between information, quantum effects, and
visual experiences. There is no particular reason, except that they're all
weird and we don't know how they work, to think they're even remotely
related.