[ExI] Zombies

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon May 1 22:03:05 UTC 2023

Hi Jason,

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 1:39 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

>> As I see it, the two camps are:
>> 1. Those who believe behaving in every discernable way as if one
>> understands is different from genuine understanding.
>> 2. Those who believe behaving in every discernable way as if one
>> understands is no different from genuine understanding.
>>
>> As laid out, neither camp is falsifiable, as "in every discernable way"
>> covers everything that could be tested for, but the law of parsimony favors
>> the second camp, as it has only one notion of "understanding", one defined
>> by behavior, rather than postulating the existence of another form of
>> "genuine understanding", different from "behaviors if one understands", and
>> it is a form which cannot be tested for using any objective means.

By "genuine understanding", I'm assuming you are talking about something
like it has an ability to experience a redness quality, so can say: 'oh
THAT is what redness is like.

And, if they discovered which of all our descriptions of stuff in the brain
was a description of that redness, and if they could reliably
demonstrate that to anyone, as we start repairing and doing significant
engineering work on the subjective consciousness, (doing things like
endowing people with new colorness qualities nobody has ever experienced
before) would that not force everyone in the number 2 camp to admit their
camp has been falsified?