[ExI] The Amazing AI Super Tutor for Students and Teachers | Sal Khan

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon May 1 22:07:54 UTC 2023

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] The Amazing AI Super Tutor for Students and Teachers | Sal
Khan

>...Sal Khan, the founder and CEO of Khan Academy, thinks artificial
intelligence could spark the greatest positive transformation education has
ever seen. He shares the opportunities he sees for students and educators to
collaborate with AI tools -- including the potential of a personal AI tutor
for every student and an AI teaching assistant for every teacher -- and
demos some exciting new features for their educational chatbot, Khanmigo.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJP5GqnTrNo>   15 minutes.

BillK

Thanks BillK.  This resonated with me because of my interest in education.
I am a huge fan of Sal Khan, but I must admit I do think Sal and I disagree
only one minute into his talk.  The use of ChatGPT doesn't really compress
the bell curve as Sal suggests it would, rather it very well might stretch
it.

GPT is a marvelous educational tool.  From what I have seen, the students
who use it the most and benefit from it the most are those who were already
the high end students and already had access to and used high quality
resources, such as the one I mention early and often, the Science Olympiad
team.  Those were already elite students, and oh my, GPT put them in full
afterburner.

One of the biggest problems we have at school is that the lower end students
don't use the already-available free tutoring services in the traditional
subjects, The PSAT and SAT training available free, the excellent online
resources, the freely-offered professional staff tutoring, the excellent
material such as Khan Academy already out there.  The local high school
requires 40 hours of community service to graduate.  The way a lot of
students get those hours is volunteer tutoring of other students.  Most of
it goes unused.  Sigh.

If you listen to Sal's pitch, look at that notion he presents at 1 minute 5
seconds.  Ideally that would happen, but in practice, the left end of the
bell curve stays where it is and the right end heads off to the right.  In
education, the poor get richer as the rich get waaaay the hell richer waaaay
the hell faster.  Well, OK then, that's progress: everyone gets richer.  The
spread gets bigger.