[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon May 1 22:10:56 UTC 2023

On 01/05/2023 22:34, Darin Sunley wrote:
> Because neural firing patterns don't have a color (they're mushy gray,
> just like everything else in the brain), nothing about their physical
> properties has a direct causal relationship with color experiences.
> Color experiences are correlated to neural firing patterns, but to
> flatly declare that they are caused by neural firing patterns is
> begging the entire question [and very probably wrong].

No, colour experiences aren't /correlated with/ or /caused/ /by/ neural
firing patterns, they *are* neural firing patterns. How is that not
obvious? There's nothing else they could be. The dynamic information
patterns, embodied as neural firing patterns, are what we call
subjective experiences. They probably need to have a certain structure
or degree of complexity in order to be conscious experiences, and that's
something yet to be discovered, but the general principle is not only
sound, but inevitable (if the patterns just /cause/ the experience, then
what is doing the experiencing? In what are the patterns causing the
experience to happen? Doesn't make sense, does it? No, the patterns are
the experience).

This is similar to the confusion I mentioned earlier, caused by the
terminology 'my mind'. You don't /have/ a mind, you *are* a mind.

These two misconceptions have the same cause, I think. Dualism. Once you
properly ditch that, these things are blindingly obvious.

Ben