[ExI] need a term: was RE: What is "Elemental Redness"?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue May 2 00:06:18 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

Gadersd, the term philosopher has no clear opposite.  What should it be called?  A phobosopher?

>…"Non-philosopher" will suffice…

On the contrary Adrian.  The term non-philosopher is neutral.  Gadersd used the very strong negative term loathe:

>>…I loathe philosophy and would be upset if anyone considered me a philosopher… gadersd

If we go with prefixes, it would need to be anti-philosopher, but that too is imperfect, as is the Newspeaky-sounding term unphilosopher.  Double ungood.

Possible solution: gently coax Gadersd into not loathing philosophy.  Perhaps we could point out to our philosophy-loathing compatriot that many of our favorite rock and roll songs express a form of philosophy, such as a recently noted example: Dust in the Wind by Kansas.  But then if we did that, he could come back that rap and hip hop also express “philosophy” under that argument.  Oh mercy, OK he would win that round.

>…But regarding the new subject line:

I need a new erm, one that won't make me sick.
One that won't make me say false things,
Or make me feel like a computronium brick.

I need a new term, one that won't hurt my head.
One that won't make my mouth too dry,
Or make my eyes too red.

One that won't make me nervous,
Wondering what to do.
One that makes me feel like I feel when I am you,

When I'm not me, just you

Adrian, I know you are a clever composer of verse (we don’t do that much in this forum any more (why?))  It occurred to me that ChatGPT has ruined poetry, by being generally better at it than most of us.  However… there is something in that verse that is a dead giveaway you wrote this yourself rather than asking ChatGPT.  Tell me if I err, and if correct, what do you suppose was my big clue?  Correction two big clues.