[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Wed May 3 12:47:57 UTC 2023

On 03/05/2023 12:41, Giovanni Santostasi wrote:
> It is a silly idea but it can have practical applications like
> navigating the world, so it is a good add-on. And in particular, then
> it puts the nail in the coffin to any argument that these AIs "have no
> grounding" because they cannot relate the words they learned with
> outside, real-life objects.

But they still have no grounding, because there's no such thing. There's
no grounding, no ground to stand on, we're all afloat in a sea of
uncertainty. All we can do is make guesses, and see which ones work and
which don't.

Either we're all zombies, or grounding is a red herring.

Besides, a camera feed is a different thing to a pair of living eyes. Or
even one eye. All it can provide is 'abstract knowledge', which as we
all should know, has no Qualities, and is not the same as 'real
knowledge', and the only kind of understanding it can lead to is
Simulated understanding, which as we all know... er, hang on, I might be
getting Gordon and Brent mixed up. Not difficult, so don't blame me!

So, if cameras can be attached, so presumably can microphones, and
3-axis accelerometers, pressure and temperature sensors, and chemical
and magnetic sensors, and maybe actuators, and 3D printers, and
endocrine glands, and neural interfaces...

Oh, and fluidic chips, micromanipulators, atomic force microscopes,
molecular beam epitaxial fabricators, entire microchip factories.

NMRI and CAT and ultrasound scanners, cell counting thingies, blood
tests of all kinds,

Etc.

Sorry, getting a bit carried away! It's dizzying. Is that an 'early
singularity' symptom?

The near future will be an interesting time.

Ben