[ExI] Watch "DeepMind’s AI Athletes Play In The Real World!" on YouTube

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun May 14 16:49:40 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Jason Resch via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] Watch "DeepMind’s AI Athletes Play In The Real World!" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/efw8xuex4uI

>…Are these robot soccer players conscious of the ball as they chase it and kick it into goals?

Jason

Jason this is going to be such fun over the next few years watching these robot athletes get better at traditional ball sports.  I would pay money to see it: robots playing soccer, baseball, football (the kind using a ball with pointy ends), bowling, boxing, that kinda thing.  I am told motorcycle racing is almost there, and it is one which has a lot of promise.  Reasoning: you can buy a commercial motorcycle ready to race for about 20k.  If you take off the kickstand, lights and mirrors then swap from street tires to track tires, the 20k factory bikes are not far at all from the custom racing bikes.  Put a 20k actuator package on there, and a civilian-class racing team can compete with the big factory teams.  About 50k would get that I think, so an aggressive racing team could afford to take risks with it.

Motorcycle racing is not just about skill, it is about how much risk of dying the racer wants to balance against the desire to win.  If you crash your bike and robot, you still have your control software to load into your replacement bike.