[ExI] morality

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Thu May 18 15:35:25 UTC 2023

> We think of medical care for profit as a bad thing, but somebody hasta pay for the doctors and hospitals, otherwise they go out of business, as did the hospital where I was born, leading indirectly to the untimely death of my own second cousin (he didn't drive, his local hospital within walking distance closed up shop, adios amigo of long term (15 years) congestive heart failure, age 62.)
>
> If we say government should pay for medicine, what happens when the government goes chapter 11, as the US government is on the verge of being in less than two weeks?  The doctors' med school loan payments are still coming.  Then who pays?

For-profit healthcare has terrible incentives. If a medication that someone would have to take for the rest of their life is more lucrative than a surgery that cures the root issue, then American doctors may recommend the medication over the surgery. In many cases it is more lucrative to “fix” a health issue after it has manifested rather than prevent it in the first place. Selling extremely unhealthy food to the masses goes hand in hand with the healthcare system as doing so creates more lucrative patients.

It is an abominable system and if my father didn’t have a good job with health insurance during my childhood, I would either be dead or my family would have become bankrupt.