[ExI] morality

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Thu May 18 16:04:41 UTC 2023

> I was thinking of how to build a moral system.  What should be the basic assumptions?  Start with the Bill of Rights?  Certainly a good place.

Practiced moral creeds tend to converge to evolutionarily stable strategies (ESS) due to evolutionary pressures. Regardless of what moral system is set down the participants will tend towards an ESS through the generations. Roughly, an ESS is a strategy of individuals in a population that promotes their self-interest (genes) while not being easily exploitable by a different strategy. Excessive pacifism is easily exploitable by aggressors and excessive aggression is exploitable by those who try to avoid conflict, see The Selfish Gene book for details.

I think aligning oneself with the strategies that evolution champions is the only reliably stable moral system. The precise mathematical details, if one wants to codify it, are illustrated by game theory and evolution. If we stop evolution this may change, but will we ever curtail replication of the fittest?