[ExI] morality

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Fri May 19 02:22:12 UTC 2023

> But the doctor doesn't make anything from the sales of the medication.  The surgeon makes money from doing surgery.  So when a surgeon suggests an operation, it is buyer beware.

On the contrary, there is some indirect compensation involved. Where there is an incentive, there will be action.
Drug companies' payments and gifts affect physicians' prescribing - STAT (statnews.com) <https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/04/drug-companies-payments-gifts-affect-physician-prescribing/>

>  I have found GPs most eager to help patients avoid the big common pitfalls, such as diabetes, cirrhosis, lung cancer and clogged heart-eries, but preventing those requires the patient to devour less sugar, less alcohol, less tobacco and less fat, which the patient may or may not be willing to do.

If a doctor tries to prevent disease in American that says something about his or her moral virtues, but the incentive structure of the US healthcare system does not much encourage disease prevention. It is much more lucrative to let the disease manifest in the population and acquire many new customers.

> Somebody must pay for the doctors , nurses and hospitals.  The hospital where I was born was a county-funded facility.  The county went broke, the doctors got choke.  Adios amigos.  It never reopened.  If we rely on state funding, good luck Kentucky hospitals.  If we rely on federal funding, what happens when the fed goes chapter 11?  This happens in less than two weeks they tell us.

I am skeptical that the astronomical prices are really necessary. I think at the very least some price controls may be justifiable. Taxes on junk food and alcohol may be helpful for subsidizing healthcare and encouraging people to eat healthier.