[ExI] morality

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri May 19 03:46:12 UTC 2023

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>…Gadersd, the above is an oversimplification.  There are insurance structures such as the Health Maintenance Organizations, which do incentivize the doctors to keep their patients healthy…

>…So the problem you point out can be dealt with given a for-profit health system and a for-profit insurance structure… spike

I might add to that some clarification: some HMOs are closed.  They can be selective on who is allowed to join.  They are generally expensive, but the health care one gets in return I would rate as excellent.  Visiting the doctor every year is annoying, but she is a pleasant person and is very competent.  Being on salary paid by the HMO, she isn’t in a big heated rush.  My annual visits are seldom less than half an hour with the doctor.  Well, OK then, if compared by value, an HMO isn’t expensive, which I suppose supports your original point: if doctors were incentivized to maximize patient health rather than profit, better health outcomes would result.  The HMO I belong to would agree with you Gadersd, and I do too: if one can afford an HMO, it is a good deal.

Regarding your notion of taxing junk food, I can immediately identify a problem with that idea.  A certain set of ingredients go into a popular sugary party snack that everyone would agree is the poster-child for junk food.  The same ingredients in exactly the same proportions, prepared differently, is a popular sugary breakfast cereal.  If one confection is taxed, so must the other.  But plenty of lower-income families rely on sugary breakfast cereal to feed their children.  The rotting teeth and lifelong problems with flab and diabetes come at no extra charge.

If one creates a chart and sorts it by cost per calorie, plain old sugar comes in third, right behind white bread and flour.  One doesn’t eat flour, and white bread usually is served with butter, which knocks it down below sugar on the chart.

https://efficiencyiseverything.com/calorie-per-dollar-list/

In my economically-strained college days, I practically lived on ramen.  Pure sugar is twice the calories per dollar of ramen.  Result: plenty of poor families feed their larvae sugary breakfast cereals.

We humans have no one to blame.  There was no perpetrator.  We did this to ourselves.