[ExI] morality

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri May 19 15:08:34 UTC 2023

On Thu, 18 May 2023, BillK via extropy-chat wrote:

> It is clear that in some cases profit leads to bad results.
>
> BillK

But I'd like to add to that three things which are often forgotten in
these types of discussions.

1. There's short term and long term profit.

2. Markets act over time.

3. In many countries, we are in fact not looking at a free market. It is
a market controlled by the state.

Now, I'm not saying which ones apply or do not apply to the above
discussion about the US health care system, but there you go.

As a personal anecdote I can add that the swedish public healthcare
system is in free fall. You can wait years for operations, people are
sent home misdiagnosed and die from time to time, if you need to go to
the emergency room, you can easily wait for 8-12 hours and so on.

This is coupled with a 60%+ tax rate.

So rich people are starting to buy private health insurance, and the
previous government then introduced a tax penalty on people who buy
private health insurance in order to "equalized" health care and avoid
that rich people can get past the queue.

You gotta love politics sometimes! ;)

Best regards,
Daniel