[ExI] morality

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri May 19 15:45:41 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of efc--- via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] morality

On Thu, 18 May 2023, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:

>>... We humans have no one to blame.  There was no perpetrator.  We did this to ourselves.
>

>...Another question related to this question from a non american. How much do you learn in the school system about healthy eating, sports, taking care of your body etc.?

Plenty.  Health classes are required.  The principles are universally ignored by the young of course, but the classes are required.  We know what we are supposed to do.  But food evolves over time.  It gets better and better, whereas we don't get much better at resisting.

>...I have heard that in the US, unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food and that is why many low income families have to rely on that to get by, and that is very sad (if true)...

It depends on how you classify "unhealthy food."  Do you have a universal definition of it, or an objective measure?  Neither does anyone else.  Consider a classic American low cost meal: hamburgers.  Does that count as healthy or unhealthy?  Why?

>...But in schools, is there a movement towards teaching proactive health practises?

Best regards,
Daniel

Schools have always had that kind of training, but Americans (and everywhere else) is up against that chart showing what foods are the lowest cost per calorie.  Flour is big number 1, but we don't eat flour directly.  Bread is next, but usually that goes with butter, which drops it down below the new second place: raw sugar.

Daniel, you recall your school days, as do we.  We were young and indestructible.  Our bodies would take whatever we tossed down our gullets, and somehow turned it into copious energy, never any actual bad health consequences.  Nothing has changed.  Young people still pass their health science finals and still ignore every principle they learned.

Oh how I miss being young and indestructible.