[ExI] morality

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri May 19 18:19:26 UTC 2023

Hello spike and thank you very much!

On Fri, 19 May 2023, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:

>> ...Another question related to this question from a non american. How much do you learn in the school system about healthy eating, sports, taking care of your body etc.?
>
> Plenty.  Health classes are required.  The principles are universally ignored by the young of course, but the classes are required.  We know what we are supposed to do.  But food evolves over time.  It gets better and better, whereas we don't get much better at resisting.

This sounds to me, like a meta problem. Principles are taught but not
followed. Perhaps students would be better served by teaching/training
discipline and critical thinking?

This in turn can lead to exaggerated smart phone use and what it does to
our young and their learning and concentration capabilities. Maybe
that's where we could solve the problem to start with?

>> ...I have heard that in the US, unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food and that is why many low income families have to rely on that to get by, and that is very sad (if true)...
>
> It depends on how you classify "unhealthy food."  Do you have a universal definition of it, or an objective measure?  Neither does anyone else.  Consider a classic American low cost meal: hamburgers.  Does that count as healthy or unhealthy?  Why?

I think that in the examples I've heard, junk food is classified as Mc
Donalds hamburgers. Personally, for me, it is the quantity of a thing
that determines how dangerous it is for you. You can die of water
poisoning after all. So my dark secret is that I actually like Mc
Donalds burgers, but only 1 or 2 times per month, and I skip the fries
and soft drinks, and only order a double cheese. ;)

But the gist of the old article I read somewhere is that too many low
income families go too often to Mc Donalds because buying healthy is too
expensive, and also, there is the time aspect. They need to work so much
that it is easier to go to Mc Donalds than taking the time to cook.

> Daniel, you recall your school days, as do we.  We were young and indestructible.  Our bodies would take whatever we tossed down our gullets, and somehow turned it into copious energy, never any actual bad health consequences.  Nothing has changed.  Young people still pass their health science finals and still ignore every principle they learned.

I think my biggest sin, at that age, was 1 liter of Coca Cola per day.
But fortunately for me, and my body, I met a wife that forces me to
train and eat healthy. ;)

> Oh how I miss being young and indestructible.

But what about the wisdom you gained? Isn't that ample compensation? ;)

Best regards,
Daniel