[ExI] morality

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Sat May 20 09:44:30 UTC 2023

Hello spike,

On Fri, 19 May 2023, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:

> Do let me assure you Daniel, you did not offend me or anyone else here as
> far as I can tell, nor did it appear that any such thing was your intention.

Ah great, thank you for clarifying! =)

> often recently.  Ours is a kinder and gentler list than in the olden days.

Yes, I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised compared with the
sometimes very toxic discussions on mastodon.

How many active members are there here? 10 or 20? I figured you have all
been debating here for so long that the rough edged have been filed down
over the years. ;)

> Ja, no worries, McDonald's is often a whipping boy for the fast food
> industry, because it is the biggest.  Big number 1.  It is good stuff, I eat
> there often.  Oh they have these soft warm fish sandwiches, mmmmm, long

Me too! Well, 1-2 times a month and my standard is a double cheese
burger and a small hamburger, and that's it.

> all, which is why they have the cows who can't spell, urging customers to
> Eat Mor Chikin and such clever advertising.
>
> https://www.chick-fil-a.com/stories/inside-chick-fil-a/20-years-of-cows

Brilliant! Thank you for the link. I'm generally not a chicken fan
except three dishes. Chicken shashlik with a heavy smoky flavour,
chicken wings and general Tsos chicken (which I consider more candy than
chicken). But otherwise, I'm not a big chicken eater. On the other hand,
my wife compensates for that. Here amount of chicken eating probably is
getting close to some kind of chicken genocide. ;)

> But chicken is slightly more environmentally friendly, and uses less water,
> and oh they really really cause far less stink.  If you have ever been
> anywhere near a huge feed lot, you know wherewithal I speak.

Well, I had relatives who were farmers in the past and I have
experienced the stink of a chicken farm and a cattle farm. Don't know
which one I'd prefer.

What about alternatives such as chinchilla? Are they perhaps even more
environmentally friendly to farm than chickens? Oh, and then there are
bug farms, the protein ofthe 21st century!

> Me too.  Watch what happens in the USA as more and more people recognize
> what I was thinking in about 1994: a borrow-as-you-go government eventually
> must face a day of reckoning.  That day is very near methinks.

Sometimes I think of this as a kind of balance of terror and credibility
among the countries of the world. If the US can just manage to be "less
bad" than the main competitors, and look strong on the surface, the
charade can continue for longer than one expects.

>> ...In fact, it reminds me of once when I visited San Francisco and went to
>
> Do allow me to offer some grandfatherly advice: if you are going to San
> Francisco... don't bother with wearing flowers in your hair.  Wear a sincere
> sidearm under your coat.  Times have changed, a lot.  San Francisco has

That's very sad. I was there in 2015 last time, and it was a beautiful
city. The only negatives was the enormous amounts of homeless people (at
that time) and also it was quite dirty in some places.

Now that the corona restrictions on foreigners have been lifted in the
US I am planning to visit again, so perhaps best to avoid San Francisco
then. =(

> become an extremely dangerous place and is getting worse.  Like New York
> City in the 1990s, this city can be saved and I predict it will be.  I don't
> know about Portland Oregon, but I believe the honest people of San Francisco
> will counter-attack and win.

Well, if what I heard is true, New York had its Hells kitchen and it was
ver bad there, and I think now maybe it is a hipster area? Or maybe
corona damaged the economy badly enough to cause it to go bad again?

>> ...Please share, I'm all for interesting stories! =)

Looking forward to it!

Best regards,
Daniel