[ExI] Are transhumanists becoming the bad guys?

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Thu Nov 30 21:38:12 UTC 2023

Hello Ben and thank you for your input.

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat wrote:

> Transhumanists have been painted as the bad guys for ages. Since
> before even Francis Fukuyama and Bill Joy. The evil (or at least
> misguided) mad scientist (played by John Hannah) in 'Agents of Shield'
> was supposed to be a transhumanist. And of course just about every
> religion that ever existed is going to be opposed to a world-view
> that's based on materialism, promotes rationality, tolerance and
> freedom of choice, and challenges superstition.

I guess what I reacted to was the specific term transhumanist.
Scientists have been bad guys on and off throughout history, just look
at Frankenstein for instance. And atheists and theists have been at each
others throats.

But it was the first time I heard that specifically transhumanists were
part of the conspiracy to kill the soul.

Best regards,
Daniel