[ExI] little puzzle

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 03:28:33 UTC 2023

On Sat, Sep 30, 2023, 6:17 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

Take a drink every time someone says OK:
https://youtu.be/-DfABsLFVAA

> I had an advantage Billw: I live in an area where everybody is from
> somewhere.  I have overheard conversations in Spanish, in German, in
> American redneck, Ukrainian, Russian, every known African language,
> Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Vietnamese and even French (we try to keep
> that one quiet.)  In every one of those languages, I hear them come to OK,
> liberally interspersed in a discussion and almost always at the end of a
> phone conversation.  That means the same in every language: I agree, good,
> let’s do that.  Every language on the planet, every conference, every
> negotiation, everything needs that term and they have all borrowed it from
> whoever invented it.  Who or where was that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK

"OK's origins are disputed; however, most modern reference works hold that
it originated around Boston as part of a fad for misspelling in the late
1830s, and originally stood for "oll korrect [all correct]". This origin
was first described by linguist Allen Walker Read in the 1960s."

Jason