[ExI] teslas can tow

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Oct 5 21:45:38 UTC 2023

...> On Behalf Of John Klos via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] teslas can tow

> But I digress cheerfully.  The Chevette brings back fond memories of
> bad times spent with mostly happy teenagers.  Life sucked but we had fun
anyway.
> We were too stupid to realize it I suppose.
>
> John thanks for the photo.  It brightened my day.

:D

>...You know, I still have mine. That's the one in the photo. I'm in the
process of rebuilding the engine, which I suppose was finally due after
780,000 miles. I should be driving it from New York to California in the
next week or two...

780k!  On a Chevette!  Astonishing!

>...After seeing stories like these:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67005620

I could conclude that the Singularity really is coming, and it really does
want to kill us.

>...I am more convinced than ever that, even though I'm a computer geek, I
do not want anything computer controlled, or even anything where electronics
are used where mechanical can suffice. There is literally not a single
integrated circuit anywhere in my Chevette. If the apocalypse came tomorrow
and all electronics stopped working forever, I could push start my car and
drive it...

Unless you are very close to the EMP, good chance your starter motor would
survive, so you wouldn't even need to push it.  Your Chevette came in just
under 2000 pounds, so even if you did need to push it, you and one other lad
should be sufficient.

>... My Chevette represented freedom when I was a teenager in a very literal
sense: I could get in it and go whenever and wherever I want. I never
dreamed back then that it'd come to represent a different kind of freedom,
where I am not at the mercy of for-profit mega corporations who withhold
information and access in an attempt to extract as much money as they can.

>...It's worth remembering this when it comes to other technology...

Roger that.  My two cars are age 16 and 21 years.

>...Oh - plus the fact that my Chevette gets 40 to 50 miles to the gallon
makes me constantly wonder why it has taken decades to get back to that kind
of efficiency, and why we're not at 100 miles to the gallon now.
Oh, right - people want to make money.

John

Eh that's part of it John.  The pre-electronics Chevette didn't have much on
the way of a catalytic converter.  That helps.  It has no airbags and
doesn't have the crumple zone chassis, which saves weight (at the cost of
your legs if you smack into something (not meant as a criticism (I ride
motorcycles.)))  Those cars didn't so much have engines as four squirrels
running on an exercise wheel.  The modest power output forced the driver to
maintain reasonable speed, which saves fuel.  It keeps the engine near its
peak efficiency RPM band when going on the freeway, which is really where it
gets its efficiency.  People today will not buy a car that takes 20 seconds
to get to 60 mph.

My friend's Chevette was a 76 model.  I was the only one who was good at
tweaking a carburetor and setting ignition points, two tasks I can still do
to this day.  I was also one who was reluctant to give away those venerable
old technologies, but for a different reason: I had older cars given to me
because they still had carbs and points.  People knew I was one to tinker
with old stuff like that.

In any case John, it warms my cardiocockles to hear a computer expert make
the comments you posted.  We old-time mechanical engineers have that
attitude: newer is not necessarily better, just newer.  If it ain't broke,
don't fix it, etc.  In some cases, older really is better.