[ExI] highly abridged version of dickens carol

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Oct 17 22:33:38 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Tom Nowell via extropy-chat
Sent: Tuesday, 17 October, 2023 11:45 AM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Cc: Tom Nowell <nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [ExI] highly abridged version of dickens carol

Spike wrote:

Everything sucked.  So they moved to California.  Then everything sucked worse than before.  spike

Here?s another: She thought he sucked.  She gradually discovered he didn?t

>…The first one - is it the episode of South Park where the internet runs dry, so they all head down Californee way? Or it could be one of any number of books set in the Great Dustbowl. I will guess at "The Grapes of Wrath"…

Grapes of Wrath is right.

>…The second one is the plot of more than 50% of romantic novels in the English language. I will guess at Pride and Prejudice, as it is a truth universally acknowledged that a writer in need of an example of an arrogant romantic hero will resort to copying Mr Darcy.

Tom

Pride and Prejudice is right.  I am not familiar with romantic novels as a genre and fear I would fall face down asleep should I even attempt to read one, resulting in my waking hours later with a painful crease in my nose from the book binding.  But my bride is a huge P&P fan.

Tom, I heard the British TV version of it (with that drop-dead gorgeous Jennifer Ehle as Miss Elizabeth, and the most humorous silly person playing Mrs. Bennet perfectly.  I found it most entertaining, and that caused me to view the British Jeeves and Wooster series, which is some of the funniest TV ever I have witnessed.  Those two guys crack me up.  It also benefitted me personally, for after viewing J&W, I decided I wanted to be Jeeves when I grow up.