[ExI] Fwd: Cheap fuel from coal and solar

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Oct 18 17:54:59 UTC 2023

>...We are going to need fuel for a considerable time...

Sure will.  Cars can go on batteries, but much of modern life is poorly suited, such as passenger flight and agriculture.

>...From the dawn of the industrial revolution,

H2O + C → H2 + CO (ΔH = +131 kJ/mol)

>...The reaction is endothermic, so the fuel must be continually re-heated to maintain the reaction. (Wikipedia)

Keith if you consider only the coal and production of solar cell cost, the conversion of coal to oil pencils out.  A coupla years ago, I ran the numbers and they look similar to yours, however... it needs a loooootta lotta real estate to get those energy numbers.

I commented at the time in the ExI forum that if an industrial power would buy a huge hunk of sparsely populated West Africa, a few thousand square km, buy it from three different potentates who claim it (if anyone is paying actual money) then create an actual enforceable border around it, West Africa could support such an operation.

Every time I suggested the project, it was pointed out to me that industrial powers may not "buy" a hunk of sparsely populated Africa, for this would be considered colonialism, which offends modern sensibilities, at least until the price of oil goes above a hundred clams a barrel.  Then our delicate sensibilities get far less delicate.

Stand by sir, I confidently predict that at some point, there will be an enormous PV manufacturing plant, and a coal to oil conversion facility.

Fun exercise: go on Google Earth, zoom in, check it out.  Imagine China or Germany or France or the commies buying a piece of that and setting up a defensible border around it, then getting to work out there.

spike