[ExI] towed evs again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 19:12:57 UTC 2023

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 at 18:43, <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

 > My design exercise led to exactly that conclusion Mike.  I had to
give up the notion of axles close together if it is to be
self-propelled.  Those two requirements are just incompatible:
oscillating instability in all configurations with close axles.  But
if we allow one steerable axle… then the axles can be separated, and
the design can close.  The camper doesn’t push the car but rather just
pushes itself.  That simplifies the control system enormously.

> Having solar on the roof is good, but by itself will make little difference on a typical three day weekend outing.  You still need to carry along most of your power-storage capacity, fully charged.  The PVs dial in cost and weight with insufficient advantage.  Even hauling a generator is not a great solution: they don’t make enough power, even though they make a lotta noise, which spoils the experience for other glampers.  So… pay the price in cost and weight, carry more capacity.
>
> spike

Hang on a minute!
You now have a very heavy, long camper with two widely separated axles.
It is going to bend down in the middle.
The reason twin axles are normally close together in the middle is
because that is where the weight is concentrated, with lighter
extensions on each side.

I recommend waiting a year or two for much improved, lighter weight,
quick recharge batteries.  :)

BillK