[ExI] Out breeding

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 02:48:52 UTC 2023

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 5:22 PM Tara Maya via extropy-chat

> I assume humans could figure it out the same as other animals, not through cognition but through evolution.
>
> The thing I find odd about our species is that the females leave the pack and travel.

I know that females of chimps and bonobos leave.  Not certain about
gorillas, but I think they do as well.

> In almost all mammals, males leave and travel to find females. This is because females provide the majority of childcare. For humans to have reversed it implies that human males, or at least the parents of human males, provide a great deal more childcare than in most extant mammals. In fact, I think grandparents are even more rare than male child-care patterns.

I appreciate your keen awareness of the problem.  But the same pattern
occurs with the other two closely related species and those males
provide little or no childcare.

To avoid inbreeding, one sex or both has to change groups.  The thing
that impresses me is that for prehistoric humans where we have DNA
data it seems to be highly organized.  Eventually, the origin of the
women who moved to these groups will be determined.  I wonder how far
they traveled to find mates?  Also, if there were women moving in the
opposite direction.  I doubt there was a lot of coercion involved
because the imported women were often buried with grave goods
indicating high status.

Keith