[ExI] Alternatives compared to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 17:57:11 UTC 2023

Like evolution underlies all of biology, evolutionary psychology is
the level below all psychology.  Behavior is just as subject to
evolutionary selection as any physical trait.

So psychological traits like capture-bonding (the trait behind
Stockholm syndrome and many other hard-to-understand human behaviors
such as battered wife) were selected in our evolutionary past.
Capture-bonding is particularly easy to understand its evolutionary
origins.  (Around 10% of our female ancestors were captured.)

The levels of Maslow's hierarchy (except perhaps the very top) are all
related to reproductive success.  Self-esteem (for example) is the
internal representation of status and status is an essential element
of reproductive success, particularly for males.

Keith

On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 3:15 AM efc--- via extropy-chat