[ExI] little puzzle

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Sep 30 22:16:53 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Saturday, 30 September, 2023 3:06 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] little puzzle

>…Spike got it - okay.   I think ADrian's answer of 'ouch' might fit too. But I'll bet OK is said far more often.   In a medical setting Ok is added to just about every question ,even though it's not a question:

'We're just going to take one leg off, OK?'  (try saying 'NO' and see them fluster - the 'choice' you are given is almost always illusory).         bill w

I had an advantage Billw: I live in an area where everybody is from somewhere.  I have overheard conversations in Spanish, in German, in American redneck, Ukrainian, Russian, every known African language, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Vietnamese and even French (we try to keep that one quiet.)  In every one of those languages, I hear them come to OK, liberally interspersed in a discussion and almost always at the end of a phone conversation.  That means the same in every language: I agree, good, let’s do that.  Every language on the planet, every conference, every negotiation, everything needs that term and they have all borrowed it from whoever invented it.  Who or where was that?

spike