[ExI] Communications a Moore's Law Phenomenon?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 20:45:16 UTC 2024

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 1:39 PM efc--- via extropy-chat <

> Wow... such a huge difference between the US and Sweden. I imagine that
> people would move to using white lists only with that being so common.

Some people try.  Unfortunately, due to how the phone systems in North
America work (including needing to coordinate with Canada, Mexico, and the
Caribbean states: it's the North American Numbering Plan), caller ID
spoofing is a routine thing for telemarketers, trying to appear as phone
numbers they suspect are on the approved lists.  To fix this would require
a level of law enforcement that would be possible in the US and Canada, but
has proven infeasible in several of the other nations.  (And then there's
political influence from the marketing associations, but I understand the
law enforcement angle is a less immediately solvable component.)