[ExI] Space Mining

Kelly Anderson postmowoods at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 02:32:30 UTC 2024

So I have read the referred to document, as well as everything posted
on this list... But I'm still pretty much a novice on the topic. Did
have a conversation with Claude, that went pretty well.

One thing I haven't seen discussed on list is the potential for doing
a fairly hard landing of an asteroid on the moon (may be some
advantages to doing it on the other side of the moon) and actually
mining it on the moon. Low gravity is easier than zero gravity for
modifying existing industrial processes. Relaunching the items off of
the moon is much less expensive than earth of course. Claude seemed to
think that this could potentially happen in the late 2030s or 2040s
sometime. I think we'll be surprised by how fast it progresses myself.

-Kelly

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 5:17 PM Keith Henson via extropy-chat