[ExI] Survival of the nicest: have we got evolution the wrong way round?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 17:24:01 UTC 2024

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 5:30 AM Dave S via extropy-chat <

> On 4/9/24 8:09 AM, BillK via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
> wrote:
> >  Does this research indicate that even hard-core libertarians would be
> >  better off co-operating with others?
>
> Libertarians aren't opposed to voluntary cooperation.

Except in practice when:

1) Other people need them to cooperate in order for the other people to
survive, but they'd be just fine in the short term not cooperating, so how
dare these other people resort to force, or

2) Other people refuse to voluntarily cooperate with them on things they
need others' cooperation on in order to survive, which - being a threat to
their survival - justifies their use of force upon others.