[ExI] [TIQ] RIP Daniel Dennett

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 09:44:43 UTC 2024

Wow I can't believe how affected I was when I heard this news.  What a gut
punch.  This was soo unexpected.

He was quite inactive in the field of consciousness for many years after he
published "Consciousness Explained", then he started getting active again.
I tried and succeeded at attending conferences where he was the keynote
speaker.  We even got his personal approval regarding his predictive
bayesian coding theory camp
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/21-Dennett-s-PBC-Theory>,
a fan of his created and still supports under the substance dualism
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/18-Qualia-Emerge-from-Function>
super camp.  And of course you can see how he plays a critical role in
illustrating the consensus building power of Canonizer in this video
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/representational-qualia-theory-consensus>
of
ours.

He was very publicly critical of John Smythies (of Smythies Car Hypothesis
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/14-Smythies-Carr-Hypothesis>
fame), the brilliant neuroscience researcher at UCSD, for being a substance
dualist, often saying in public "He should know better" ;)  John was one of
the most active supporters of canonizer, helping to build and support
the substance
dualism branch
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/48-Substance-Dualism>,
showing how there are people that believe in substance dualism, despite how
they are nearly tarred and feathered for publicly admitting such.  It was
even harder for me when John died a few years back.

I can't wait till we get the resurrection technology
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ybLgIbOSDu9-ye1wAu9B5RnCBuSVcIihtXrhtVWZajo/edit>
to bring these guys back.  And I wish AI would hurry and find a cure for
aging, so we could quit losing the great ones like these.

Have you guys seen Kurzweil these days?  He is really not looking good
lately.  I fear I'm going to see him in the headlines some day.  That will
hurt more than anyone.  Is there any way we could all throw him a party
before he goes or something?

Losing your good friends and heroes, especially the personal ones for me
like Sasha <https://transhumanism.fandom.com/wiki/Alexander_Chislenko> and
Marvin <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Minsky>,  (I know many of you
here knew these guys) is the hardest part of getting old.