[ExI] another health dilemma

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Mon Feb 5 16:12:27 UTC 2024

On 2024-02-02 14:04, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat wrote:
> An Ocean ofAir, by Gabrielle Walker, a chemist,is really excellent.
> But...
>
> She says that taking in more antioxidants may interfere with body's
> own production of them.  Now what?  bill w

Preface: I am not a medical doctor and I am not licensed for medicine in
any state or country. These are merely my personal views based on my own
experience and therefore YMMV.

In answer to Gabrielle Walker's assertion that exogenous antioxidants
interfere with the body's production of them, I would ask "So what?"

There are antioxidants your body can enzymatically produce and
antioxidants your body cannot produce. (I will limit this to human
physiology as there are species can produce many antioxidants that your
body cannot.)  An example of an antioxidant your body can produce is
superoxide dismutase. It is an enzyme that protects you from oxygen free
radicals that your mitochondria generate in the process of the citric
acid cycle and oxidative phosphorylation that make up aerobic
respiration. An example of an antioxidant your body CANNOT produce is
ascorbic acid aka vitamin C. Therefore all of the vitamin C in your body
comes from either food or supplements.

Because your body has been fine-tuned for metabolic efficiency over
millions of years of scarcity, your body will not waste energy making
vital substances that are plentiful in your diet. For example, your body
can make its own cholesterol from carbohydrates if you are a vegetarian
say but if you eat enough meat, then your body won't  waste its energy
making more of the stuff than you need. Therefore if you take an
antioxidant, or any substance, that your body is capable of producing on
its own, then the exogenous substance will temporarily shut down its own
production of the substance in many cases. This is known as feedback
inhibition and it is a naturally evolved mechanism.

The important thing to note is that this shut down of production is
temporary in the sense that the body is simply responding to the
abundance of the substance in your diet, and does not forget how to make
its own in times of scarcity. So if you taking antioxidants keeps your
body from making its own, that just means you don't need any more of
that antioxidant. This is normal and not unhealthy.

That being said, it is possible to overdose on antioxidants and
vitamins, just like it is possible to overdose on anything including
water. This is especially dangerous for fat-soluble varieties such as
vitamin E, vitamin A, and EGCG (green tea extract), because the body
stores what it doesn't use instead of pissing it away.

Anecdotally however, Linus Pauling was a Nobel prize winning chemist
that figured out how proteins were structured by discovering the alpha
helix. He famously megadosed with 5 grams of vitamin C a day, and while
it is true that he pissed most of it away, this did not interfere with
him living to 98 years old. So I guess the best thing to do is take
supplements that you think you need on a case by case basis, using the
medical studies as a guide, but do so in moderation and pay attention to
your labs when you go in for blood work.

Stuart LaForge