[ExI] Top Soil Depletion

Kelly Anderson postmowoods at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 06:09:56 UTC 2024

On Sat, Feb 10, 2024 at 8:20 AM BillK via extropy-chat
> Ground water depletion is also getting increasing attention as wells
> dry up worldwide, forcing communities into urgent solutions.

I see ground water depletion as a fairly easily solved problem once
one has sufficient energy resources. Simply desalinate and pump. With
fusion, it's fairly easy to see how that problem gets solved by a
future of energy abundance.

Soil is quite a bit harder. It generally takes a very long time. Now,
you could say something like hydroponics would solve the problem, and
you might be right... but soil on outside fields seems hard to beat.

Yes, we all know global warming isn't really a solvable problem...
it's not going to be solved any more than Mohenjo-daro
stopped baking bricks. Whether it will lead to the end of humanity, or
merely the populating of Canada and Siberia is anyone's guess.

-Kelly