[ExI] Would human uploads have emotions?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon Feb 19 20:26:31 UTC 2024

I'm baffled by the opinions being expressed here.

We all understand what computer simulations are, and that digital
computers can simulate anything, to an arbitrary level of detail.

But somehow, endocrine systems and emotions are exempt from this?

And bodies?

I'd agree that more advanced uploads may well do away with some of these
things, after a suitable period of experimentation, but surely the first
uploads will need to be provided with virtual bodies, including an
endocrine system (and a whole bunch of other things, that we don't even
know yet for sure), and we will do our best to exactly replicate all the
experiences, including emotional ones, that physical humans have.

To say that uploads can't have endocrine systems, and would be
emotionless, is like saying that a flight simulator can't have ailerons
and so can't emulate a roll. That would be a pretty useless flight
simulator. Similarly, an upload with an incomplete set of the things
that contribute to our experiences would be pretty useless. Apart from
anything else, how could you verify it?

I would have thought it was obvious that an upload wouldn't just consist
of an emulated brain, but would also need a virtual body, and that we
will need to figure out just what can and can't be omitted from the
total system that is our physical bodies. Some things are obvious, like,
say, the exact structure of bones. Some are currently unknown, like the
effect of our immune systems on our cognition. There's a lot of
complexity, naturally, but there's absolutely no cause to claim that
some specific aspect /can't/ be emulated. That would be ridiculous, imo.

Apart from all that, I'd say that emotion underlies thought, and talk of
having an 'emotionless' mind is nonsense. Like building a car without an
engine. When we talk of someone being emotionless, we don't actually
mean someone who has no emotions. They have more control over their
emotions than most people is all it is. If someone genuinely had no
emotions, they wouldn't survive. They'd have to reason to get out of
bed, to talk to other people, no reason to do anything at all, even eat.

Ben