[ExI] Would human uploads have emotions?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 21:23:32 UTC 2024

On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 at 20:29, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

> I'm baffled by the opinions being expressed here.
>
> We all understand what computer simulations are, and that digital
> computers can simulate anything, to an arbitrary level of detail.
>
> But somehow, endocrine systems and emotions are exempt from this?
> And bodies?

<snip>

> Ben

It depends on what "uploading" humans means.
You seem to be taking it to mean a complete emulation of the human
brain and body environment.
So presumably you think that cryonics head-only storage is insufficient.
The more usual definition of "uploading" is creating a detailed
digital copy of the individual’s brain, including memories, thoughts,
and personality traits. This digital copy would then be transferred to
a computer. (Of course, this leads to the fundamental question of
whether the uploaded consciousness would truly be the same individual
as the original person or merely a sophisticated simulation).

Mr AI comments -
In a purely digital environment devoid of physical sensations or
hormonal influences, it is unclear how human-like entities would
experience or express sexuality. Without the physiological mechanisms
that drive sexual responses in humans, such as changes in blood flow,
neural activation patterns, or hormonal fluctuations, it is uncertain
whether digital beings would have an analogous experience of sexuality
or if they would even possess sexual desires.

I don't think that to say, "Oh well, just emulate absolutely
everything!" solves this problem.

BillK