[ExI] Fwd: a fantasy of spin

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 16:48:25 UTC 2024

It is a matter of historical record that Galileo was, to put it lightly, an
intransigent jerk who had no interest whatsoever in softening his message.
He was making a theological, not to mention intensely political statement,
and he knew he was doing this while he was doing it.

His house arrest came only at the end of long, involved, repeated
conversations with church officials, none of whom were stupid or
particularly dogmatic. These arguments are relatively trivial and I
guarantee you they were offered to Galileo repeatedly.

(Why American atheists insist on modeling the medieval Catholic church like
80 IQ rural Southern Baptist pastors is something I will never understand.
They were highly intelligent, deeply sophisticated, utterly ruthless
politicians of the first order. They understood the science perfectly fine,
and had no particular objections to it. But their real god was Church
Authority, and thats what Galileo was very intentionally attacking.)

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024, 9:38 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <