[ExI] Open Individualism

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 10:47:09 UTC 2024

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 at 19:30, Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat

> I don't see how all individuals (or even just two) can possibly be 'connected at the level of consciousness' without being conscious of it. The conclusion is that we must be separate individuals with distinct identities, or we would all be aware that this was not the case. This seems to describe a 'hive mind', and we are definitely not that.
>
> Ben

It seems that metaphysics is the answer.  :)

I asked the AI -
You said -  open individualism posits that all individuals are
fundamentally connected at the level of consciousness.
How can individuals be connected without being conscious of being
connected? Is this like a 'hive' mind?
BillK

Answer -
I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous response. You
raise an important point. In open individualism, the idea is that all
individuals share a fundamental interconnectedness at the level of
consciousness, but it does not imply that individuals are consciously
aware of this connection or have direct access to the experiences or
perspectives of others.

Open individualism suggests that at a deeper level of consciousness,
there is a unity or interconnectedness that transcends the apparent
boundaries of individuality. However, within our individual subjective
experiences, we typically have limited access to the thoughts,
feelings, and experiences of others. We may have a sense of empathy or
understanding, but true direct access to another person's
consciousness is generally not possible.

It is important to distinguish open individualism from a "hive mind."
A hive mind typically refers to a collective consciousness or
intelligence where individual identities and autonomy are subsumed
within a unified group consciousness. In a hive mind scenario,
individuals may have direct access to the thoughts and experiences of
others within the collective.

In open individualism, individuality and personal perspectives are
still recognized, and the interconnectedness is understood at a deeper
metaphysical level rather than through direct conscious awareness or
shared experiences. It acknowledges that there is a fundamental unity
of consciousness, but the individual experiences and identities are
preserved.