[ExI] Open Individualism

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Jan 6 16:32:13 UTC 2024

This makes no sense to me at all. It seems equivalent to claiming that
all rocks are connected (and just as useful).

I can claim that all male humans have their own 'open individualism',
separate from the same thing in females, or all living things have it,
or only certain classes of beings, or objects or collections of
organised information, etc., etc. What does it actually mean? Nothing,
as far as I can see (apart from as mental categories that we use as part
of our thought processes, but that's not what we're talking about here).

More importantly, what use is this idea? Clearly the claim that it can
eliminate wars and cruelty etc. is false. We already have groups of
people that treat each other differently to those not in the group.
Claiming that we are all in the same group doesn't work, because then
there is no 'out-group' to compare ourselves with, and it instantly
falls apart into sub-groups. In any event, you won't convince everybody
to buy in to this idea (assuming that it's the knowledge of this idea
that is supposed to give rise to World Peace (rather than the existence
of the thing, which it clearly is not)). I'm certainly not sold!

If such a state as this not-group-consciousness group consciousness
exists, and is not accessible to anyone as an individual, again, what
use is it? I don't even know what it actually means, let alone how
anyone could prove it exists.

Is this idea like the concept of a body being made up of individual
cells? The body has no direct knowledge of the cells, and the cells have
no knowledge of the body as a whole, just their local environment? If
that's so, then what does this Open Individual do? Where is the evidence
that it exists? What effect does it have on the world? If the answer is
"it's the sum total of all humans alive on the earth", then it's
singularly ineffective as an 'individual'. It suffers from massive
internal conflicts of several different kinds, and apparently hates
itself. Sticking with the biological theme, it's an insane teratoma. So
I don't think that can be the answer.

I'm tempted to posit the existence of an Open Individual that consists
of all male blonde humans over 6 feet tall. Is there any way of
disproving that such a thing exists?

Do cats have their own Open Individual?

Monkeys? Hominids? Mammals? Cephalopods? Everything with a brain?

All humans who understand calculus?

Are there infinitely many Open Individuals?

Etc.

Ben