[ExI] A Paranormal Prediction

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 19:40:56 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jan 6, 2024, 2:27 PM Kelly Anderson via extropy-chat <

> Political banter is fun with the plebians. But I find the minds I
> contact through this list are far too interesting to waste on partisan
> bull shit. The stuff normally discussed here is much more interesting
> than what flavor of politician we might get for the next four to N
> years (depending on your nationality -- not to be ethnocentric).
>
> So along those lines... when do you think we'll see the first AI
> president of ANY country? I could imagine an interesting story where
> say El Salvador elects/installs the first AI president, and
> immediately starts to gain so much international prestige and does so
> well that other countries start to come on board with the program...
> But, of course, other scenarios could certainly play out. I picked El
> Salvador, as they were the first country to accept Bitcoin as legal
> tender and seem ready to embrace an uncertain technological future
> rather than sit around waiting for the bigger countries to beat up on
> them in various ways. Thoughts?

The advantage of an AI-tocracy is that it can be open source and everyone
can run a local copy on their own computer to verify the public
pronouncements of executives or the rulings of judges.

The disadvantage is that if they are public they can also be games by
adversaries that run closed systems. If international affairs are like a
poker game, then there are advantages to keeping ones cards close to the
chest. Perhaps domestic government can be run by open source AI while
international government uses closed source AIs.

Jason