[ExI] Open Individualism

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 22:41:57 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 10:02 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> On Sat, Jan 6, 2024, 12:39 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <
>
>> On Sat, Jan 6, 2024 at 9:20 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
>>
>>> I think you don't want it to be true.
>>>
>>> If that's the case, well then you can't use reason to get out of a
>>> position which you did not use reason to get into.
>>>

>> You might wish to turn this claim around.
>>
>> How badly do you want open individualism to be true?
>>
>> Are you thinking about this possibility because it is the very situation
>> you yourself are in, whether you fully realize it or not?
>>
>> If you are certain it is not, how would you know that it is not?
>>
>> I know it is not for me, because I can present logic and reasoning
>> without logical fallacies to defend my position.  It does not appear that
>> you have been able to do this.
>>
>> (For example, ad hominem attacks.  You questioned if someone else doesn't
>> want it to be true, to sidestep and ignore their point.  Note that it takes
>> more than just questioning the person to be ad hominem; see the definition
>> at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem to see why this letter is
>> not itself this same fallacy even if it calls your reasoning into question.)
>>

> > "You might wish to turn this claim around."

Which is precisely why I showed how that that letter itself was not an ad
hominem fallacy.  That your response consists only of parroting the first
bit without addressing this point, in other words attempting to reflect it
back without addressing the already-present rebuttal against said
reflection, is further evidence of the problem.