[ExI] Fwd: Open Individualism

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 21:54:34 UTC 2024

Open Individualism is starting to sound like Greg Egan's "Dust theory" from
Permutation City.

To state that "You have to have a person before they can have an
experience" isn't a counterargument against Dust theory, it's a naked and
content-free denial of it.

The central claim of dust theory is, indeed, that "persons" are not
ontologically primitive. That a "person" is nothing more and nothing less
than a sequence of "experiences" [observer moments] that form a sequence.
The sequence is defined by the fact that some observer moments are in the
process of remembering other observer moments. [dust theory also holds that
all possible observer moments exist, are ontologically primitive, and are,
indeed, the only things that exist.]

Yes, their theory is radically non-materialist, and yes, it has unanswered
questions, but it's not sufficiently out there that it can be trivially
disposed of with a content-free denial asserting the trivial and obvious
truth of the materialist paradigm. That's just begging the question.

On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 8:13 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <