[ExI] AI and autonomous warfare

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 14:31:44 UTC 2024

On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 at 00:22, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> This long article discusses the increasing problem of autonomous weapons in warfare.
> <https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/jul/14/ais-oppenheimer-moment-autonomous-weapons-enter-the-battlefield>
> Quote:
>
> AI’s ‘Oppenheimer moment’: autonomous weapons enter the battlefield
> The military use of AI-enabled weapons is growing, and the industry that provides them is booming
> Nick Robins-Early      Sun 14 Jul 2024 17.00 BS
> What has changed, researchers say, is both increased public attention to everything AI and genuine breakthroughs in the technology. Whether a weapon is truly “autonomous” has always been the subject of debate. Experts and researchers say autonomy is better understood as a spectrum rather than a binary, but they generally agree that machines are now able to make more decisions without human input than ever before.
> -------------------------------------
>
> I asked Perplexity AI to review this long article.
> BillK
>
> Perplexity AI -
>
> The article from The Guardian discusses the increasing integration of artificial intelligence (AI) into military weapons and operations, highlighting what some experts are calling AI's "Oppenheimer moment" - a reference to the development of the atomic bomb. This trend raises significant ethical, legal, and strategic implications for modern warfare.
> <snip>
> -----------------------

As Perplexity AI insisted on the need for international cooperation to
avoid an AI weapons arms race, I pointed out that while a war was in
progress there would be little likelihood of international cooperation.
Nations will not restrict weapon developments during wartime.
War plus AI seems to indicate a bleak future.

Perplexity AI grudgingly agreed, but then still added a long section
about the urgent need for international cooperation.

Below is the first part of the reply (with the long wishful-thinking cooperation
section removed):
BillK

Perplexity AI:
The continuation of the AI weapons arms race during ongoing conflicts
is a significant concern, as nations prioritize military superiority
over cooperative regulation. Here are the key points and implications
based on the provided search results:

1. Intensification of the AI Arms Race

Current State of Affairs:
The AI arms race is characterized by rapid advancements in military
technology among major powers like the U.S., China, and Russia. This
competition is driven by the desire for strategic and tactical
advantages on the battlefield, leading to the development of
increasingly sophisticated AI-driven systems such as drones and
autonomous vehicles.

Implications:

Escalation of Conflicts:
The deployment of AI weapons can lead to faster and more automated
warfare, potentially escalating conflicts due to reduced
decision-making times and increased reliance on AI for strategic
assessments.

Ethical and Legal Challenges:
The use of AI in warfare raises significant ethical and legal
questions, including accountability for AI-driven actions and the
potential for increased civilian casualties.

2. Challenges to International Cooperation

War and Cooperation:
During active conflicts, nations are less likely to engage in
cooperative efforts to regulate AI weapons, as their immediate focus
is on gaining military advantages. This competitive environment makes
it difficult to establish and enforce international agreements or
treaties aimed at controlling the development and use of AI in
warfare. Implications:

Lack of Regulation:
The absence of international cooperation can lead to a lack of
effective regulation, increasing the risks associated with the
deployment of AI weapons.

Proliferation of AI Weapons:
Without international agreements, there is a higher likelihood of AI
weapons proliferating, potentially falling into the hands of non-state
actors or being used in ways that violate international humanitarian
law.