[ExI] Portuguese Poem

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 09:37:07 UTC 2024

On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 at 09:28, efc--- via extropy-chat

> I heard or read somewhere that different languages change the way we think
> due to their grammar and where they put the emphasis. Don't know if it is
> true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
>
> In terms of LLM:s and the statistical underpinnings, my guess would be no.
>
> Best regards, Daniel

The training data for Western LLMs is mostly based on English
language. They process other language questions by translating into
English, processing data in English, then translating the answer back
into the other language.
The Portuguese poem was translated to English, then processed through
the English text analysis logic to produce the answer in English.
The Chinese LLMs are different as they are based on a vast amount of
Chinese language datasets (as well as English datasets). This allows
them to understand and interact with humans in the Chinese language.
So western LLMs will generally always be responding as an English
speaker, because English language data is the great majority of their
training data.

BillK