[ExI] trust the fake science?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 15:24:44 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 4:37 AM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <

> If you do study this, you might put in a paragraph about the
> consequences of a large one failing.
>
> Air isn't as dense as water, but below a modest depth, a collapsing
> volume will generate more of a shock blast than the same volume of
> TNT.
>
> The consequences might be worse than one filled with hydrogen.

I have imagined the void balloon being much smaller, then using a large
number of them - akin almost to an aerogel that resists crush inside a
skin.   If a few of these voxels are damaged, there are still plenty of
others to mitigate a singular catastrophic implosion... you just lose
buoyancy until you are parked.  :)  I guess having an unstable airship
docking with your house would still be a bad day, but maybe not level the
neighborhood.