[ExI] Vacuum Balloons Tech

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 01:00:46 UTC 2024

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 6:06 PM BillK via extropy-chat <

> So I discussed vacuum balloons with an AI (of course).  :)
>
> The first response was that vacuum balloons are not possible at present.
> (But I didn't let that deter me).

The AI is not the first to make that claim.

> Beaux and his team have made rapid progress over the past five years,
> progressing from aerogels 34 times denser than air to within 10 times the
> density of air, which is close to achieving air buoyancy.

I think I'll send him an email, to see if he's interested.

I note that the  AI mentions the vacuum pump requirement. An airship needs
> a method of adjusting the buoyancy so that it can ascend and descend as
> necessary. As well as drive engines.

That it does.  My design requires a vacuum pump too, but they are cheap and
fairly light relative to the target balloon mass.