[ExI] [Extropolis] AI alignment

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 22:55:11 UTC 2024

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 11:34 AM John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 2:00 PM Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > “The Clinic Seed” was about a well-aligned (friendly) nanotech-based medical AGI which (due
>> to human desires to live an easy life) made a population go biologically extinct (they all uploaded).
>
> If I remember correctly it was a very optimistic story, I hope things turn out that way.

Hmm.  I would call it ambiguous rather than optimistic.  At the end of
the story, the leopard gets to sleep in the empty village and the
human race is (locally) biologically extinct.

>> > There are negative aspects of waiting for people to solve the alignment problem.
>
> If that means making sure that no matter how powerful it becomes a super intelligent AI will always place our interests above its own then the "alignment problem" will never be solved, however if it means making sure that super intelligence is achieved first in the US, Europe Japan South Korea or Taiwan and not China, then that does seem like an achievable goal, although it will take effort. We can't be sure that even a US derived Superintelligence will not exterminate us, but I think our odds would be better than if we were dealing with a Chinese derived Superintelligence.

Perhaps, I just don't know.  For a while, the Chinese stopped AI work
because they could not count on AIs following the CCP dogma.  It might
be that AIs are going to settle into the same place no matter who
develops them.

Keith