[ExI] Maybe space exploration will be a task for AI humanoids

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 12:50:15 UTC 2024

What If We’re Stuck Down Here?
By Barry Petchesky   June 18, 2024

<https://defector.com/what-if-were-stuck-down-here?>
Quotes:
But what if certain challenges are not hurdles but roadblocks, and not
technological but biological? If the problem is not what we can build,
but what we are?

We've long known of the deleterious effects spaceflight can have on
the human body: bone loss, anemia, weakened immune systems, higher
cancer risks, the list goes on.
Add to those effects a potentially calamitous one.
The study, ominously titled "Cosmic Kidney Disease" and published last
week in Nature Communications, examines the kidney function of 66
astronauts who spent up to 180 days on the International Space
Station, which is relatively safe compared to say, a return mission to
Mars, which would last a couple years and expose astronauts to the
more intense radiation of deep space.

The conclusion is that if humans are stuck on Earth, then we had
better make sure we don't ruin it.

BillK