[ExI] Maybe space exploration will be a task for AI humanoids

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 13:50:19 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jun 24, 2024, 5:51 AM efc--- via extropy-chat <

> On Sun, 23 Jun 2024, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat wrote:
>
> > "But what if-"
> > No.
> >
> > The dangers are known, and addressable on the scale of a full colony in
> space; they have not nearly been economical to address on the
> > scale of the very limited space stations that provide the only data
> about living in space so far.  The dangers mainly come from:
> > 1) Living in zero-g for extended periods, which we know how to avoid,
> but no actual space station has yet been built for long-term
> > spin gravity,
> > 2) Substantially increased exposure to ionizing radiation, which we know
> how to avoid, but no actual space station has yet been built
> > with the requisite level of radiation protection, and
> > 3) Generally being cut off from supply/society and having to make do
> only with the very limited infrastructure on hand, which we know
> > how to avoid, but no actual space station has yet been built with a
> hospital (or even a clinic), a full machine shop, and so on.
>
> What are the economics of having a space station with 1, 2, 3 and relying
> on mining ice for oxygen?

That depends on how the station's owners pay for continued operation.  It
may well be that such a station will not exist, at least not for long,
without some sort of economic engine sustaining it.  "For science", the
primary such engine behind all current and previous space stations, simply
doesn't cut it.  (The first station with these three components likely will
support a lot of science as a byproduct, using that as part but not all of
the funding to keep going.  Even if it could achieve full technological
self sufficiency, there will be a need to pay people to be aboard, so it
doesn't become a ghost town.)  See below idea for a satellite manufacturing
hub.

Flying it in from earth is cheating, so I'd be
> curious if it would be feasible to have something permanent in space
> relying on ice being flown in, or if that is way beyond anything possible
> with today technology.

Possible, yes.  Practical (aka economical), not yet, even with "cheating".
The snippet quoted was trying to speculate that it might never be possible
- forget the "with today's technology" qualifier.  While there are
technological improvements that would make it more practical, the
fundamental problem is more economics than technology: how does one make a
buck living in space, and thus afford the cost of living in space?

It may well be that the first demonstration of all 3 will use oxygen
initially sourced from Earth then recycled aboard with little continuing
resupply, much like current space stations do.  Shifting to deriving from
ice would happen if and when economical, not out of any desire to not
"cheat".  This might be lunar ice if the station does much other processing
of materials mined on and shipped from the Moon, for instance manufacturing
satellites for Earth's use (perhaps with large components, particularly
solar panels, manufactured on the Moon but assembled - and smaller
components manufactured - on the station).  This would set up a paid-for
mass flow from the Moon to the station, to which lunar ice could be added.

As I understand it, the ISS today uses little to no ongoing oxygen
resupply.  Rather, it has an oxygen generator that electrolyzes water, then
reacts the hydrogen with CO2 to make more water.  It does, however, need
ongoing nitrogen resupply to keep the air mix okay.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbogen
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbogen#:~:text=Carbogen%2C%20also%20called%20Meduna's%20Mixture,%25%20to%2050%25%20CO2>
says
that an oxygen/carbon dioxide mix is not immediately fatal, but long term
effects would need more study.  Although, this would replace the nitrogen
resupply problem with a carbon resupply problem.  One might think that this
could be handled with ongoing resupply of food, but if the nitrogen content
of food is low enough that separate nitrogen resupply is warranted, a
carbogen-atmosphere space station might need separate carbon resupply.

Eventually, a full self supporting space station will need to grow its own
food too, but there is little doubt that this is possible.  The ISS grows
stuff on board, though nowhere near on the scale to fully feed its crew.