[ExI] Can AI Solve Science? by Stephen Wolfram

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 10:04:25 UTC 2024

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 at 12:13, efc--- via extropy-chat

> If memory serves, I think Stanislaw Lem in his Summa Technologiae was
> speculating along similar lines, that we'll evolve innovation factories.
>
> It was many years since I read it, so I could be wrong though.
>
> Best regards, Daniel

I think your memory is correct.  :)   Two different AIs agree.
The book was written in Polish and published in 1964.
The English translation was published in 2013.

AI Answer:
Yes, advanced technology research centers were indeed predicted by
Stanislaw Lem in his book “Summa Technologiae.” In this book, which
was published in 1964, Lem discussed various futuristic concepts and
technologies, including the idea of advanced research centers
dedicated to technological innovation and scientific exploration.
He envisioned these centers as hubs of creativity and invention, where
experts from different fields would collaborate to push the boundaries
of human knowledge and capabilities.

<https://publicityreform.github.io/findbyimage/readings/lem.pdf>

I think the relevant section may be in Chapter 7 The Creation of Worlds.
Quote:
We are to invent a device that will gather information, generalize it
in the same way the scientist does, and present the results of this
inquiry to experts. The device collects facts, generalizes them, and
checks the validity of this generalization by applying it to a new set of facts.
On having undergone “quality control,” the “final product” leaves the “factory.”