[ExI] AI and Eliezer

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 01:10:06 UTC 2024

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 5:04 PM Samantha via extropy-chat

> Oh my.  Eliezer the luddite.    I have been off the opinion for over two
> decades that there is no way for humanity to continue at the current
> level, much less transcend this level, without massively more effective
> intelligence deployed than today whether human or artificial.
>
> If this is so then AGI is *essential* to human flourishing.

I agree.

> Also "shut it down" means shutting down and controlling the entire
> internet at this point.  The work has gone well outside a few large tech
> companies.  It is vibrantly alive and being advanced in the open source
> world.  Surely Eliezer doesn't believe humanity could survive the level
> of tyranny it would actually take to "shut it down"?

A point I don't think Eliezer considers is that humans are dangerous
Humans are selected for wars, from circulating xenophobic memes when
it looks like resources will get tight to irrational optimism about
winning wars.

At least AIs have not been selected for such traits.

Keith